This digital doll clothes pattern will let you sew a captivating fairy costume for your 18 inch doll.
Every time a flower seed sprouts, a flower fairy is born! If you are quiet and still, you may be lucky enough to spot one of these beautiful fairies in the gloaming of twilight or the breaking of the dawn. Flower fairies dress in leaves and petals that mimic the flowers they live in and watch over. This two-piece outfit captures the spirit of these alluring creatures with a skirt made of cascading flower petals and a bodice adorned with leaves and vines.
This pattern may look intimidating but fear not! You can choose to work with natural fibres for the skirt, and hem the flower petals, OR you can choose the EASY method and use synthetics and heat seal them. Each provides a unique look but both produce gorgeous results. The easy heat seal method is also used on the bodice leaves.
KeLibu testers were surprised by how easy the heat sealing method is. No hemming! – you just seal the edges of the petals and sew them on to the skirt. As an added bonus, the heat sealing method gives a nice, ruffled edge to the petals that mimics the look of real flower petals.
This PDF sewing pattern can easily be adjusted to fit 18″ dolls with waists ranging from 10.5″ to 11.5″.
Check out the Kelibu Flower Fairy Shoes and Whimsical Wings patterns to complete the look!
For the Skirt
There are two fabric options for the skirt. You may use a lightweight cotton or other natural fibre for the flower petals on the skirt. If you do, the petals must be hemmed. If you choose to use a synthetic fabric, you can choose to hem them or heat seal them.
- 0.4 yard/metre of lightweight cotton, cotton blends, broadcloth for the Underskirt and Pettiskirt
- A piece of tulle that is 40 inches long by 2 inches wide for the Pettiskirt
- 5 – 12 inches of ½ inch wide elastic
- 0.6 yard/metre (45” wide fabric) or 0.4 yard/metre (60” wide fabric) of lightweight cotton, cotton/silk or other cotton blends
- 0.6 yard/metre (45” wide fabric) or 0.4 yard/metre (60” wide fabric) of satin, chiffon, crepe or lightweight taffeta
For the Bodice
- 0.45 yard/metre of cotton, cotton blends, polyester blends, taffeta, satin, crepe etc. for the Bodice, Bodice Lining and the Bias Tube Embellishment.
- A piece of lightweight fusible interfacing that is 10 inches long by 5 inches wide. I used a knit tricot interfacing but you can use your favourite as long as it’s not too heavy.
- A 10 inch by 5 inch piece of synthetic fabric with a stiff hand such as taffeta or organza for the Bodice Leaves.
- 2 sew-in snaps or a piece of thin hook and loop tape that is 1 ½ inches long and 3/8 inches wide.
- 25 inches of thin cord or a bobby pin to turn the bias tube
- A small, sharp needle meant for woven fabrics
- Matching thread
- Small, sharp scissors for trimming seam allowances and clipping corners
- A point turner or other small, blunt tool for pushing out seams and corners
- Straight pins
- Bodkin or safety pin
- Tailors chalk or some other non-permanent marking pen
- A candle (tea light or some other type of low, stable candle) and a fire extinguisher or bowl of water
- Optional: Plastic-coated freezer paper (to help cut slippery fabric)
- Optional: Tear-away stabilizer, tissue paper or copy paper to help sew thin/slippery fabric
- Optional: Beads, sequins or other embellishments
Skill Level: Intermediate
Download, Print & Sew!
Start your project immediately with this digital PDF pattern. It includes step-by-step instructions with full color pictures and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the file (e.g. Adobe Reader for Windows or Preview for Mac).
You will see a link to download your pattern as soon as your purchase is complete. You will also receive an email receipt for your purchase that will include the link to download the pattern.
KeLibu is not affiliated with American Girl®, Mattel®, Our Generation®, Battat®, Maplelea®, Maplelea Girls®, Avonlea Traditions Inc.®, Journey Girls®, Toys R Us®, With Heart and Soul®, Kidz N Cats®, Maru and Friends®, Maru & Friends® LLC, A Girl for All Time®, Daughters of History Ltd. or any doll/toy company.