This PDF pattern will allow you to make a Steampunk Perched Hat for your 18 inch dolls. This pattern is part of the KeLibu Steampunk Separates Collection and can be mixed and matched with other KeLibu Steampunk patterns.
No steampunk outfit is complete without accessories! As steampunk fashion draws inspiration from Victorian fashion, this Steampunk Perched Hat draws inspiration from Victorian hats in the later part of the 19th century. Hats were frequently worn perched forward to accommodate hairstyles which piled hair on the top and back of the head. Victorians loved embellishment on their hats so feel free to add lots of lace, feathers and jewelry findings to your version. Because this hat is constructed with a wired brim, you can turn it up on one side or the back for extra style!
• 5½ inch by 6½ inch piece of medium buckram*
• 5½ inch by 6½ inch piece of iron-on adhesive. I used HeatNBond Lite.
• 5½ inch by 6½ inch piece of light to medium weight fashion fabric for main body of hat
• Less than ¼ yard lightweight fashion fabric for the lining
• 14¼ inches of thin (32 gauge) wire. Floral wire is a great choice because it’s cloth covered.
• Minimum 15½ inches of ⅜-½ inch wide ribbon for the hat band
• Decorations for the hat such as beads, lace, metal embellishments, feathers, small cabochons etc.
• 3 ½ inches of ⅛-¼ inch wide ribbon
• Hand sewing needle
• Fabric glue (I prefer Fabri-Tac)**
• Fray check or lighter to seal ends of ribbon
• Sharp detail scissors for clipping
• Small sewing clips or binder clips
* Buckram is stiffened cotton fabric. If you cannot easily purchase buckram, you can make your own. Sew Historically has a great tutorial on how to do this. I would recommend using a lightweight cotton for this, rather than the twill/canvas they recommend as you don’t need heavy duty buckram. https://www.sewhistorically.com/how-to-make-diy-buckram-for-millinery-historical-clothing/.
** Choose a fabric glue that has great hold, is quick drying and doesn’t soak through fabric. I prefer Fabri-Tac because it cures very quickly and doesn’t saturate fabric so it can’t be seen from the right side.
Skill Level: Intermediate
DOWNLOAD, PRINT & SEW!
Start your project immediately with this digital PDF pattern. It includes step-by-step instructions with full color pictures and full size pattern pieces. A PDF reader is required to view and print the file (e.g. Adobe Reader for Windows or Preview for Mac).
KeLibu is not affiliated with American Girl®, Mattel®, Our Generation®, Battat®, Maplelea®, Maplelea Girls®, Avonlea Traditions Inc.®, Journey Girls®, Toys R Us®, With Heart and Soul®, Kidz N Cats®, Maru and Friends®, Maru & Friends® LLC, A Girl for All Time®, Daughters of History Ltd. or any doll/toy company.
Check out the KeLibu YouTube channel for accessories to enhance your patterns: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOiAxhIWXNi4JfEkW-qH1Aw?sub_confirmation=1